Tuesday, April 26, 2011

New Life! Austin's Journey of Faith {Free Printable}

"I will sprinkle clean water on you and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. 
will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you."




At four years old, Austin asked us what the little song playing on the cassette player meant as we sang along to the words, "Bullfrogs and Butterflies have both been born again..." 
He said he wanted to be born again, too~  
At 9 years old, he heard a man in Sunday School tell of Jesus death on the cross~ that Jesus had taken our punishment,
that Jesus died for usthat Jesus came back to life as proof that he was God.  Right there in Sunday school, Austin prayed that Jesus would forgive his sins and committed to trust in God alone.  The next morning while I was drinking my coffee, he came downstairs and climbed into my lap.
"I feel like a completely different person~ 
Jesus has changed me!" he said.
Through the next several years, God pursued Austin through His people in the context Bible studies with his dad, mission trips, summer camp and Young Life.
  And on Easter Sunday, Austin was Baptized.
And Mr. Wonderful captured it on his iphone....
{Note the voice at the end, "That's my boy!" 
coming from big brother Blake!}
As the family shared our Pa Nang Salmon and Pad Tai Chicken at Baan Thai {a Mankin family favortite} the night before, Austin told us that he was looking forward to his baptism.  "Now that I'm almost a senior in high school, 
I see my baptism as a time where I can declare my faith as my own."  
And declare it he did!
I think I'll download this free printable from Good Gravy and put it in Austin's room as a reminder of the courage it takes to make that journey to manhood.
Building a foundation of faith in your child takes the work of ALL the Saints!  We are humbled and grateful for the investment of so many in the life of our boy.  
It is by the authentic, unconditional demonstrations of faith he has witnessed in the body of Christ that he has come this far.  For THAT, we will be ETERNALLY grateful!






Want to be more adept at talking to your kids about faith? 
You might read "Leading Your Child to Christ" for some ideas.

3 comments:

  1. Sure do love that Austin Mankin! Gorgeous inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow-love how you present things, Sharon! And love how amazing your kids are! They will change the world, each in their own unique way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Austin, I'm extremely proud of you for the decision you've made to be baptized. Doesn't it feel good! Congrats-Hoop Hunter!

    ReplyDelete